Music Theory 3
Study Cycle: 1
ECTS credit: 10
Lecturer(s): doc. dr. Bogunović Hočevar Katarina, red. prof. dr. Vrhunc Larisa
Lectures consist of analysis of musical works, covering:
• analysing and refreshing the definitions of concepts and methods of form and harmony analysis;
• analysing the connections and co-dependence of musical components and formal structure;
• learning about different compositional approaches and styles in 17th, 18th and 19th Century music.
• following the development of the instruments and principles of instrumentation in the period before 1900;
• acquiring and furthering the knowledge of the main form related topics:
o theme and variations;
o sonata form;
o sonata cycle;
o free forms.
Seminary is dedicated to ear training. Main topics are:
• Rhythm and metre, simple rhythms.
• Pitches (major in minor scales, leading-tone, intervals in a melodic context, lower voice, chromatic scale, sequences, pentatonic scale, other scale types).
• Textures with multiple voices (types of textures, cadences, modulations).
• Recognising style characteristic, forms and other musical parameters in works from various periods by ear.
The tutorial is intended for refreshing and deepening the knowledge about musical-theoretical disciplines (harmony, counterpoint, form) and elements based on actual examples. It covers the following main topics:
• harmony of R. Schumann;
• harmony in opera;
• four-voice chords of R. Wagner;
• harmony of F. Liszt;
• harmony and pianism: F. Chopin;
• C. Debussy – slendro and the whole-tone scale;
• R. Strauss and polyphony in orchestra;
• harmony of G. Mahler;
• A. Skrjabin and harmonies by fourths.