Research into the Teaching Process
ECTS credit: 4
Lecturer(s): izr. prof. dr. Sočan Gregor, red. prof. dr. Bucik Valentin, red. prof. dr. Mažgon Jasna, red. prof. dr. Peklaj Cirila
- Research based teaching. Ethical questions in research relating to school or the work environment. The law on personal data.
- Theoretical basis of measurement in social sciences (measurement in a broader and a more specific sense, measurement in natural and social sciences, direct and indirect measurement, scales of measurement, introspection, interpretation of behaviour, errors of measurement and assessment).
- Planning of research: forming of the research question, studying scientific literature and bibliography (searching databases), preparation of a research strategy and research plan, selecting the proper research method, data collecting, analysing the results, interpretation of conclusions.
- Research methods: descriptive, correlational, experimental; action research.
- Descriptive methods. Observation: random, systematic (categories, scales, coding), observation with participation.
Observation noting (notes, audio, video, recordings). Examples of observation in the classroom.
- Experiment: basic features. Variables. Types of experiments (repeated measures, non-repeated measures). Quasi experiment. Sampling. Experiments in school.
- Ethnographic research. The researcher as an agent of change – action research. Characteristics. Steps in action research.
- Techniques for data collection. Primary and secondary information sources. Qualitative techniques: interviews, diaries, speech analysis, visual data analysis, group work analysis, content analysis. Quantitative techniques: questionnaire, survey, assessment scales, grades, tests, statement scales, sociometrics. Use of techniques in course planning, implementing and evaluating the teaching process.
- The analysis and presentation of both qualitative and quantitative results. Basic methods for data description and basic methods of statistical inference. Data processing with the SPSS software.
- Interpretation and use of results for the modification of one’s own practice.
- Rules and principles of written communication and reporting.